Saturday, October 12, 2019

Secret Life of Pets 2

 Secret Life of Pets 2

Gidget: The best part of both movies

Really? This is in the top 10 of the year? This is not a movie I would recommend to anyone.

The only thing I remotely empathized with in this movie was Max's fear. I empathized with Max's fear for Liam. As a parent, it's sometimes really hard to look at all the scary things that are in the world. I do want to protect my children from all the horrible stuff. But Rooster is right, kids (people, really) have to deal with life as it is and sometimes they have to learn the hard way. Sometimes they have to have things go wrong or make mistakes to learn.

I also deal with a lot of fear myself. I get how hard it is to do things when all you want to do is curl up in a ball and hide.

But yeah, that's it.

I feel like this was a movie that tried too hard to be too many things. Max's story line was supposed to be the heart-rending, emotional payoff part. Snowball's story line was the comedic super-hero spoof. Gidgit's story line was...the homage to cats in a dog movie? Not really sure. The problem was that I don't feel like any story really got traction to bring together a decent whole.

In terms of representation, the movie pass the Bechdel test, and in representation of people of color. On the other hand, mental health was mocked, there wasn't any character that had a physical disability, and there was no LBGTQ representation.

Overall, not worth the time. I'm glad I only paid $2.00 to rent it from Redbox. Some of the special features are great, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment