Saturday, November 30, 2019

Toy Story 4

Oh Pixar, how I love you!



I thoroughly enjoyed Toy Story 4. Do I think it's as good as 2 or 3? Nope. (2 is my favorite!) Is it better than 1. Yup.

First, can we just address the elephant in the room: those creepy ventriloquist dolls! I don't do horror pretty much at all, and so these creepy dolls put it right on the edge of my tolerance zone. I know some of you are laughing at me because it's so minimal. I know things can be so much worse. I'm sensitive, I get it. But still...


~shudders~

Okay then, moving on!

I really did enjoy the movie. I laughed. and I cried at the end, because change. But I'm left wondering about it. In terms of thinking, this one is probably going to stay with me the longest. I'm not sure I fully comprehend what the message is supposed to be. And I do love mulling things over.

What about representation!

Bechdel test? Yes! Bo Peep! Giggle McDimples! Bonnie! Gabby Gabby! Jessi! Dolly! Trixie! Yup, yup, yup!

Minorities? This one is always interesting to figure out because I'm looking at animated characters. So I have to look at voice actors. Toy Story 4 just barely passes, because of Ducky and Bunny--who steal the show every scene they are in. They are voiced by two black actors: Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele.

 

LGBTQ? Not that we can immediately tell.

Mental Health? Not so much. There's some overcoming of fears and an existential crisis, but nothing that screams mental health struggles.

Physical disabilities?  This one gets interesting. Ironically, I had to discuss this one with my family because there was a physical disability, but there was accommodation and acceptance, so much so that I couldn't quite figure out if it counted or not.

Bo Peep has a broken arm. 




I had to think about this one for a while, but I think it really counts. The thing is, a toy with a broken arm like this doesn't "heal" like we as humans would. In Bo Peep's case, she couldn't really glue it or fix it or anything. She just taped it back up and went on with life. This feels more like a disability that she learns to live with than a temporary issue. I say this movie passes the disability test!

What do you think? Do you agree with Bo Peep and disabilities? What about mental health? I'd love to hear your ideas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment